Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Agree vs Sympathize vs Empathize

I recently said that I agree with someone although it is hard to sympathize with him. This lead to a conversation about the difference between the following phrases:
  • I agree with you: This is usually just an acknowledgement.
  • I sympathize with you: This goes beyond just an acknowledgement to an emotional response to what the other person is going through. You might feel pity or sorry for the person. 
  • I empathize with you: This is even deeper than sympathizing. You don't just feel sorry. You understand how the other person feels because either you or someone close to you have been in a similar situation, or you are naturally a very empathetic person. Sympathizing does not necessarily mean that you can relate to someone in such an intimate level. 

No comments:

Post a Comment